Git is the most commonly used version control system. Git tracks the changes you make to files, so you have a record of what has been done, and you can revert to specific versions should you ever need to. Git also makes collaboration easier, allowing changes by multiple people to all be merged into one source.
git.ece.umd.edu is mostly used by the ECE students and faculty. It is running an older version GitLab 6.9.2 and being retired at the end of July 2021. All repositories will need to migrated to another server.
code.umd.edu is hosted by the Engineering IT and is running a current version of GitLab. Clark School faculty, students, authorized affiliates & guests are able to access GitLab. Other users (e.g. staff) are allowed on a case-by-case basis. Please email email@example.com for more information. Students, Faculty, Staff: use the UMD CAS button to log in. If you have never logged in before, your account will automatically be created. Affiliates: use the UMD CAS button to log in. Guests: use your username & password to log in.
GitLab User Docs
GitLab hosted user documentation can be found at https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/
Sample repository on git.ece.umd.edu - Group: dspcad, Project: enee408c-fall19-dist
- Setup ssh keys on code.umd.edu for your account and the local machine you're using. This only needs to be done once - https://code.umd.edu/help/ssh/README#generating-a-new-ssh-key-pair
- git clone --mirror firstname.lastname@example.org:dspcad/enee408c-fall19-dist.git
- cd enee408c-fall19-dist.git
- git remote rename origin old-origin
- git remote add origin email@example.com:dspcad/enee408c-fall19-dist.git
- git push -u origin --all
- git push -u origin --tags