Git is the most commonly used version control system. Git tracks the changes you make to files, so you have a record of what has been done, and you can revert to specific versions should you ever need to. Git also makes collaboration easier, allowing changes by multiple people to all be merged into one source. GitLab is the preferred and supported git solution for the Clark School.
code.umd.edu is hosted by Engineering IT and is running a current version of GitLab.
Faculty and students in the colleges listed below are able to access the Clark School GitLab.
- A. James Clark School of Engineering
- College of Computer, Mathematical, & Natural Sciences
Authorized affiliates and guests sponsored by users in the above colleges may also access GitLab.
Due to licensing terms & conditions, we do not automatically allow staff to access GitLab. Staff and other users that do not fit the above criteria can be added for access on a case-by-case basis. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Users with a UMD Directory ID & Password should use the UMD CAS button to log in; if you have never used GitLab before, your account will be created on first login. Guests should use their username and password to log in.
Use this form to sponsor a guest. You must be a member of the populations listed in the access section above to sponsor a guest.
GitLab User Docs
GitLab hosted user documentation can be found at https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/
Sample repository on git.ece.umd.edu - Group: dspcad, Project: enee408c-fall19-dist
- Setup ssh keys on code.umd.edu for your account and the local machine you're using. This only needs to be done once - https://code.umd.edu/help/ssh/README#generating-a-new-ssh-key-pair
- git clone --mirror email@example.com:dspcad/enee408c-fall19-dist.git
- cd enee408c-fall19-dist.git
- git remote rename origin old-origin
- git remote add origin firstname.lastname@example.org:dspcad/enee408c-fall19-dist.git
- git push -u origin --all
- git push -u origin --tags