Topics Map > IT Operations
Topics Map > Instructional Technology
Find MAC Address
Instructions for locating a computer's MAC address on Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux.
- Open the command prompt by searching for "cmd" and hit enter.
- In the command prompt, type "getmac /v /fo list" and hit enter.
- The Physical Address of the Local Area Connection or Ethernet is the MAC address.
Apple Mac OSX
- Open network preferences
- On the left panel select your ethernet connection
- Click the advanced button at the bottom
- Select the Harware, Ethernet, or Airport tab
- The address is the string next to the label "MAC Address", "Ethernet ID", or "AirPort ID."
- In a terminal, type "ifconfig /all" and hit enter.
- Under "eth0" (or your active ethernet device connection), the "Hardware address" is the MAC address.