Topics Map > IT Operations > Customer Support and Policies > Remote Desktop
Topics Map > IT Operations > Customer Support and Policies > VPN
Departmental VPN - macOS - Safari
This article describes how to set up the departmental VPN on a Mac using Apple's Safari browser. We recommend that you read the article through once before attempting the connection. Some of the prompts may or may not appear, so please make sure you read the directions carefully. Each user has different security settings on their computer, so this will impact what you see and need to do.
2. Open Safari.
3. Type the URL that corresponds to your department.
4. Once you're on this page, you will see an indication that the Host Checker is attempting to run.
5. The Host Checker will attempt to run once the page loads.
6. If this is the first time the Host Checker has run, you will see the plug-in attempt to install. This will be followed by a request to install the Pulse Application Launcher (PAL). The PAL will install/run any Pulse Secure web plug-in that you need once it's on the computer. It may take a moment for this prompt to appear.
7. Click Download. You may be prompted to allow downloads on "newvpn.ece.umd.edu." If so, click "Allow."
8. Double-click on the PulseSecureAppLauncher.dmg installer from your Downloads folder, then Double-click on PulseSecureAppLauncher.mpkg and follow any prompts that you see.
9. Once the Launcher has been installed, the current page on the browser has some information that will guide you to launch Pulse Secure. Select the "HERE" option that is highlighted in blue.
10. Again, allow any prompt with "Always" that shows up related to the Pulse Secure installation.
11. After allowing the PAL to run you should find that the Host Checker runs successfully and takes you to the logon page. If you are not redirected to the logon page, Quit Safari and repeat Steps 2-10.
12. You may be prompted for a second form of authentication when you log in. This prompt will look similar to other campus systems and show you Duo authentication options. Please use your preferred Duo authentication method.
When you load the VPN page in the future, any component updates should happen automatically. If you have permanently accepted all of the security prompts, the logon page will load and you can easily continue by entering your username and password when prompted.
If your office desktop has been configured by the Service Desk for Remote desktop, you should be able to click on the link titled "Connect To My Office Desktop." If this does not work, please contact the service desk at email@example.com or 301-405-1634.