Topics Map > IT Operations > Software and Licensing
FireEye is a new Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) system that is replacing the usage of traditional anti-virus software on campus. It will be required on all University computers by June 2021. FireEye runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
FireEye software installers can be found in this Google Drive folder. To access this page you must log in with your UMD Gmail account.
NOTE: Other third-party antivirus programs must be uninstalled before installing FireEye.
- Download the FireEye_Windows.zip file.
- Unzip the two files contained within it to the same location. One of these files is a configuration file that the installer will automatically reference.
- Run the executable/application file that was unzipped.
- Continue the installation by selecting "next" when prompted.
- Accept the prompt for the license agreement.
- Accept the default installation location.
- Continue with the installation by selecting "Install" when prompted.
- You may be prompted for administrator credentials or confirmation that you would like to proceed. Please accept this prompt or enter the credentials requested. If you aren't an administrator on your computer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- The installer will complete and then you can select "finish" at the end to close the installer.
- You may delete the installer and configuration file when this is completed.
- No further action is necessary. The program will update itself as needed.
If FireEye is performing a scheduled scan on your computer, the icon will show in the task bar:
- Download the FireEye_MacOS.dmg file.
- Open the FireEye_MacOS.dmg file.
- Double-click on the xagtSetup pkg file in the window that opens.
- Click “Continue”, “Agree”, and “Install” when prompted. Screens may look similar to what's shown below.
- Enter administrator credentials and click "Install Software." If you aren't an administrator on your computer, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
- When prompted, click “Open Security Preferences.”
- Then click “Allow...” next to “Some system software was blocked from loading.” Click the checkboxes next to each program listed, then click “Ok,” and close the System Preferences window.
- The program installation will then take several more minutes.
- Click “Ok” once the installation finishes.
- The program will now run mostly in the background. There is no additional action needed.
- Download the FireEye_Linux.tgz.
- Open terminal and navigate to the location of the downloaded file (ex. cd ~/Downloads).
- Extract the files: tar zxf FireEye_Linux.tgz
- Use dpkg to install: sudo dpkg -i xagt_32.30.12-1.ubuntu16_amd64.deb
- Install config: sudo /opt/fireeye/bin/xagt -i agent_config.json
- Start the service: sudo service xagt start
- Check to ensure it's running: systemctl status xagt