Remote Desktop - UMD Cisco VPN on macOS
These are supplemental instructions for using Remote Desktop with the Cisco VPN on a Mac.
1. Install the Microsoft Remote Desktop application from the Mac App Store.
2. Click "Add PC".
3. For "PC Name" use one of the following:
- Recommended method: <username>.<department>.umd.edu. If you would like assistance obtaining/creating a host name for this purpose please contact the Service Desk. Staff are provided with these as part of their on-boarding process.
The hostname for your computer, based on your department, will be:
- General Engineering (any group from Engineering): username.eng.umd.edu
- Math: username.math.umd.edu
- Physics: username.physics.umd.edu
- The fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the computer. For example, the name formatted as ENGRWKAVW1234.AD.UMD.EDU.
- The IP address.
4. For "User account", click on "Ask when required", then "Add User Account".
5. For "Username", enter your firstname.lastname@example.org . For "Password", enter your UMD Directory Password.
6. Click "Add".
Optional: If you're sitting at a computer that has multiple monitors and you'd like to use all of those monitors for Remote Desktop, click on the Display tab, then check "Use all monitors."