Pulse Secure is the departmental VPN client that is used by Engineering, Physics, and Mathematics department chromebooks to access resources, like shared drives, on additionally firewalled networks.
Chromebooks are encrypted and require password for logon, but here are a few items to consider:
- The lock screen should always be enabled to prompt when waking from sleep. By default, a Chromebook will not prompt when the screen is opened or after it goes into standby. The Instructions here will help you complete this important security step.
- Before passing a Chromebook on to someone else, it's nice to "powerwash" it. This is simply another word for resetting it to a fresh state. The Service Desk can assist if you need to pass a Chromebook along to another user. Instructions are also available on the web (e.g. here).
- Updates happen automatically on Chromebooks. As always, it's important to restart for updates when prompted.
Remote Desktop on Chromebooks
The Pulse Secure VPN address to remote desktop into an office computer using a Chromebook is chromebook.<dept>.umd.edu. This specific address is configured to work on Chromebooks and other devices that cannot run the Host Checker. The interface is limited to being able to connect to an office workstation.
- Check in with your departmental IT support team to make sure your computer and account have been configured for remote desktop to your primary workstation.
- Use one of the following links to connect via your Chromebook to the VPN:
- Log in with your directory ID and password.
- You may also be prompted for "secondary authentication" in a new window. This uses the Duo app or key fob that you typically use to access campus systems.
- Choose from one of the following HTML5 RDP links on the page. Note that both will do the exact same task, there are simply minor differences in the passthrough options for each. Prior to connecting, it is recommended that you make the browser window full screen. (See the upper row of keys on the Chromebook keyboard and find the full screen button.)