Topics Map > IT Operations > Customer Support and Policies > Remote Desktop
Topics Map > IT Operations > Customer Support and Policies > VPN
Remote Desktop - UMD Cisco VPN on Windows
Researchers and groups whose network connection are on a standard campus network can use the Cisco VPN client and these instructions to connect to their workstation(s). Customers can use their IP address or DNS host name to connect.
- From your home Windows machine, connect to the Cisco VPN using the instructions in the section above, "Installing and Running Cisco AnyConnect VPN."
- Open the Remote Desktop Connection program (this can be found by searching for "Remote Desktop Connection" in your windows search).
2. Select "Show Options" in the bottom left corner to see the full menu of options. You must do this in order to sign into your machine with your user account.
3. Users can access their machines by using the following for their "Computer:" line: username.<department>.umd.edu. If you would like assistance obtaining or creating a host name for this purpose please contact the Service Desk.
The hostname for your computer, based on your department, will be:
- BioE: username.bioe.umd.edu
- ECE: username.ece.umd.edu
- IREAP: username.ireap.umd.edu
- ISR: username.isr.umd.edu
- General Engineering (any other group from Engineering): username.eng.umd.edu
- Math: username.math.umd.edu
- Physics: username.physics.umd.edu
5. Click "Connect" in the bottom left corner to remotely connect to your machine.