Topics Map > IT Operations > Customer Support and Policies > Remote Desktop
Topics Map > IT Operations > Customer Support and Policies > VPN
Remote Desktop - UMD Cisco VPN on Windows
Researchers and groups whose network connection are on a standard campus network can use the Cisco VPN client and these instructions to connect to their workstation(s). Customers can use their IP address or DNS host name to connect.
- From your home Windows machine, connect to the Cisco VPN using the instructions in the section above, "Installing and Running Cisco AnyConnect VPN."
- Open the Remote Desktop Connection program (this can be found by searching for "Remote Desktop Connection" in your windows search).
2. Select "Show Options" in the bottom left corner to see the full menu of options. You must do this in order to sign into your machine with your user account.
3. Users can access their machines by using the one of the following for their "Computer:"
- Recommended method: <username>.<department>.umd.edu. If you would like assistance obtaining/creating a host name for this purpose please contact the Service Desk. Staff are provided with these as part of their on-boarding process.
The hostname for your computer, based on your department, will be:
- General Engineering (any group from Engineering): username.eng.umd.edu
- Math: username.math.umd.edu
- Physics: username.physics.umd.edu
- The fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the computer. For example, the name formatted as ENGRWKAVW1234.AD.UMD.EDU.
- The IP address.
4. For your "Username:" line, you should enter your email@example.com
5. Click "Connect" in the bottom left corner to remotely connect to your machine.